Baby Swimming Hat Tutorial
When summer rolls around, getting outside and into the sunshine is a priority. However, for those enjoying summer fun with little ones in tow, having a collection of swimming and sun hats handy is just as important.
If you’re having trouble finding a baby swimming hat that comes in a style you love and stays in place, this DIY option is excellent. You’ll choose your eye-catching fabric and end up with a final product that thoroughly shades your child’s neck and face.
If you own a sewing machine and iron, this DIY swimming hat doesn’t take long. Making a few at a time promises to make your next beach day a breeze.
Materials You’ll Need
Be sure to grab the following supplies when you’re ready to start up the sewing machine and get going on this cute and helpful baby accessory. You’ll need the following materials:
- Printed pattern pieces
- ½ yard of decorative fabric
- ½ yard of mid-weight fusible interfacing
- ½ yard of optional ribbon
- Sewing machine
Once you have gathered your supplies, you’re ready to start putting the pieces together!
- Cut the two brim pieces from the decorative fabric using the pattern guide.
- Press the interfacing to the back of the brim pieces.
- Bring the ends of each brim piece together and sew them in place to create a loop.
- Line up the brim loops with right sides together and sew along the bottom edge to connect them.
- Turn the brim pieces right side out and press.
- Cut six fabric pieces for the crown of the hat using the pattern guides.
- Press fusible interfacing to the backside of each of the six fabric pieces.
- Sew two crown fabric pieces together along the edge with the right sides facing each other.
- Press the seam open.
- Sew another crown piece of fabric to the two you already have. Make sure the right sides are together so that all three connect.
- Repeat steps 8 through 10 so that you have two halves of the hat’s crown to work with.
- Connect the two halves by aligning their right sides and sewing up from the bottom, over the curve, and down the other side.
- Mark the center front and center back of the crown once the halves are connected.
- Match up the center back of the crown and the seam of the brim before sewing them together with right sides facing each other.
- Press the seam where the crown and brim meet from the inside.
- Cut two fabric pieces for the crown lining using the pattern guides.
- Fold the bottom edge of each lining piece up by 3/8 of an inch and press towards the opposite side of the fabric.
- Sew the crown lining into the central crown, stitching along the edges to connect.
Your hat is complete once you add the lining. However, there’s always an option to add ribbons on either side for a more secure fit for your baby!
This DIY baby swimming hat protects your child’s skin and provides a cute addition to a beach day. When you need materials to get started, Goldstar Tool has you covered! Reach out today and be sure to share your finished product with us on Instagram or Facebook.