Babydoll Dress Tutorial
Spring is finally here, and with it comes a sense of renewal. The inspiration for a fresh start often extends to a seasonal wardrobe overhaul.
While some head to the store to freshen up their closet, others fire up the sewing machine. If you’re looking to create something fun and fresh at home, a babydoll dress is the right choice!
Gather the Materials You’ll Need
Before you sit down at the sewing machine to create this cute spring dress, make sure you’ve collected the essentials.
- Sewing machine
- Dress pattern
- Lightweight fabrics
- Matching thread
- Button interfacing
- Bias tape
If you’ve gathered up the necessities and selected your fabric, you’re ready to get started.
- Cut the fabric by following your pattern.
- Apply interfacing to the wrong side of the button placket and pin in place before sewing the lines.
- Staystitch the neckline with the seam allowance indicated by the pattern.
- Pin the front and back bodices along the shoulders, then sew and finish the seams.
- Press out one side of a length of bias tape and pin it along the raw edge of the neckline.
- Sew the neckline following the tape at the fold using a 1 cm seam allowance.
- Understitch the tape while catching the seam underneath.
- Fold the tape and tuck the edges before pinning across the bias tape along the neckline on the wrong side.
- Sew the bias tape close to the inner fold and press it firmly.
- Match up the right sides of the sleeves and pin them on top of the bodice, matching up the shoulder seam and center sleeve seam.
- Sew and finish the sleeve seams.
- Sew the short edge of the cuffs and finish the seams, then fold the min half with the wrong sides facing each other.
- Position the cuffs around the raw edge of the sleeve bottoms. Match the underarm seam to the cuff seam before sewing them in place.
- Create a rolled hem, then sew a line of gather stitches on the opposite side to make an optional ruffle. Create a ruffle for each arm.
- Pin the ruffle along the armhole before sewing it in place.
- Match the right sides of the pockets together before pinning them to the sides of the skirt and sewing them in place.
- Once pockets are pressed away from the skirt, sew a line of gather stitches at the top of the front and back skirt pieces.
- Pin the front skirt to the front bodice piece making sure the right sides are aligned.
- Sew and finish the seam, then repeat the process with the back piece.
- Pin from the ruffle to the waist and around the pockets before finishing the hem and seams.
- Sew buttonholes and add buttons before hemming the dress.
This babydoll dress is sure to be comfy and fashionable. Connect with us when you’re looking for materials or if you have questions before getting started!