You might be ready for fall, but is your pup? Make sure your furry friend stays warm and cozy as the weather changes with this quick and simple sewing machine craft.
In addition to your sewing machine, you’ll need:
1 yard of fleece and sherpa
Thread and sewing machine needle
Ironing board and iron
12” worth of 1-inch wide hook-and-loop fastener, sew-on
Now you’re ready to get started!
1. Take your dog’s measurements with your measuring tape. Add a few inches in each area so your dog will be able to move around comfortably.
2. Using your dog’s measurements, sketch out the shape of your stock pattern on your pattern paper and round out sharp corners to make them into smooth curves.
3. Cut the pattern out, line your fabrics up with the pattern, and get the fabric ready to cut by pinning them together.
4. Cut your fabrics according to the pattern. The sherpa will be for the outside, and the fleece will be inside, so try finding sherpa fabric that has a pattern that you like.
5. Place the fabrics on top of each other so that they line up exactly and pin so that they stay in place.
6. Take your sewing machine and carefully stitch all the way around the edge of the coat, leaving roughly 3” open on one side.
7. Flip your coat inside out, flatten, and iron carefully.
8. At the open hole, fold the unfinished edge under and pin. With your sewing machine, topstitch the opening closed, then continue stitching all the way around the coat’s edge, roughly ¼” away from the edge.
9. Attach the hook-and-loop fastener on the coat’s chest strap by pinning the rougher side of a 2” fastener piece to the outside fabric of one of the coat’s chest straps. Two hook-and-loop fastener strips are recommended for larger or more high-energy dogs.
10. Pin the fastener’s soft side to the middle of the other chest strap’s lining side. Repeat this with the straps around the belly.
And there you have it! Your dog is ready to stay cozy (and stylish) all fall and winter long.
Looking for more DIY craft ideas for sewing machine enthusiasts? We’ve got everything you need, from craft inspiration to supplies and more, at Goldstar Tool.