DIY Lap Desk!
Whether you’re going on a road trip or doing school from home, a lap desk can be the ideal accessory for keeping little ones engaged in the experience. These convenient surfaces are designed for comfort and style, all while bringing projects into better view.
While the option to head out to the nearest store and pick one up is always there, creating a DIY lap desk is just as simple and can be accomplished at a fraction of the price. If you have a sewing machine at home, this project promises to be as quick as it is cute and functional.
Materials You’ll Need
You’ll only need a few items to get started on this DIY lap desk. Here’s what you’ll want to grab:
- Decorative fabric
- Cookie sheet
- Sewing machine
Once you’ve got everything gathered, you’re only a few steps away from a finished lap desk that your kids are sure to love! Fire up the sewing machine, and you’re on your way.
- Cut your decorative fabric two inches wider than the cookie sheet (on every side), which you’re going to use for the finished product.
- Position the cookie sheet upside down in the center of the decorative fabric.
- Glue snaps around the entire parameter of the cookie sheet.
- Fold the fabric edges over the top of the cookie sheet and mark the places where the snaps will go.
- Attached the snaps to the fabric.
- Flip the fabric with the snaps on it over and trace the outline of the cookie sheet onto the fabric.
- Take the second piece of decorative fabric (the one without snaps) and cut it down 2-inches around the parameter.
- Place the smaller piece of fabric on top of the piece with snaps so the right sides are facing in.
- Pin the middles in on each side of the two pieces of fabric.
- Pin along the sides of the fabric and corners, leaving a gap at the corners for pleats.
- Sew around the edges, leaving a four-inch gap.
- Turn the fabric right side out through the gap and fill the interior with stuffing.
- Stitch the open gap closed.
- Snap the stuffed pillow to the cookie sheet.
Once the pillow is firmly snapped in place, it’s ready to be used as a lap desk!
A DIY lap desk is a convenient and straightforward way to get work done on the go! When you need the materials to get started, Goldstar Tool has it all. Reach out today to find what you’re looking for, and be sure to share your finished product with us on Instagram or Facebook.