Make Your Own Gardening Gloves!
April 22 2021
Spring is just around the corner, and one of the highlights for anyone with a green thumb is getting ready to plant a garden! This year, consider putting a personalized touch on the gardening experience by creating your very own set of gardening gloves. Grab your sewing machine and favorite fabric when you’re ready to craft a truly eye-catching garden accessory.
Gather the Materials You’ll Need
Creating customized gardening gloves doesn’t take much in the way of materials. Before you begin, you’ll want to be sure to gather the following items:
- A pair of fitted gardening gloves
- Cotton canvas fabric (Decorative main fabric)
- Quilting cotton fabric (Lining fabric)
- Main fabric interfacing (Pellon SF101 or Vlieseline G700)
- Lining fabric interfacing (Pellon FF911)
- Sewing machine
Once you have your materials in place, be sure to download this template to make the process smooth from start to finish!
Simple Step-by-Step Instructions
- Lay your gardening gloves flat on a work surface.
- Line the narrow end of the template up with the outer edges of the glove wrists. Larger gloves may require cutting the template in half and laying the pieces out to match up with the outer glove edges.
- Following the instructions associated with the interfacing you’ve chosen, fuse the interfacing to your fabrics.
- Cut the fabric out using the template as a guide. When this step is complete, you’ll have four main pieces of fabric and four lining pieces.
- Cut the glove ends to the same width as the narrow end of the fabric pieces.
- Align the right sides of the fabric pieces decorative side down and use your sewing machine to sew the sides of the gauntlets together using a 1-centimeter seam allowance.
- Flip the lining gauntlets right side out and position them within the main gauntlets.
- Sew around the larger end of the gauntlets allowing for a 1-centimeter seam.
- Turn the gauntlets right side out.
- Baste or zigzag stitch the edge of the small opening.
- Slide a glove through each gauntlet, making sure to line up the wrist and the zigzag edge.
- Use a long stitch and a 1-centimeter seam allowance to sew the gloves to the gauntlets at the small end.
- Turn the gloves right side out.
- Press the gloves and slip them on—you’re ready to get gardening!
Whether you give them away as a gift to a fellow gardener or keep them for yourself, these DIY gardening gloves promise to be as stylish as they are durable. Connect with us when you’re looking for materials or have questions before getting started!