DIY Duvet Cover
by: GoldStar Tool
Upgrading your comforter is an easy way to change up the look or feel of your bedroom. Unfortunately, most of the options available through major retailers are incredibly expensive.
If you’re eager to add a new design element to your bedroom but don’t want to break the bank in the process, this DIY duvet cover is an excellent option. Not only is it simple to make, but it gives you the ability to really get creative and make your bedroom match your unique personality!
What You’ll Need to Make an Incredible Duvet Cover
Besides a sewing machine, which is obviously a necessary tool for creating a one-of-a-kind duvet cover right at home, there are a few other materials you’ll want to gather, as well. Be sure you have the following on hand:
Once you have your materials gathered, it won’t be long before you’re on your way to creating a duvet cover that fits your style to a tee.
- Wash, dry, and iron the fabrics you plan to use in order to pre-shrink them to size.
- Measure the size of the comforter you want to cover.
- Cut two rectangular panels of fabric for the duvet cover. Each should be one inch wider than the comforter you’re covering and two and a half inches longer to allow for the hem and seam.
- Align the front and the back of the two fabric panels with the backsides facing each other.
- Pin all of the side seams in place.
- Sew the sides and top together using a French seam.
- Hem the bottom of the duvet cover by folding the fabric over one inch and pressing it flat with an iron. Repeat once more with another one-inch fold before pinning the hem in place.
- Stitch the hem close to the exterior fold line.
- Add buttons with the sewing machine buttonhole attachment to the bottom of the duvet cover as a closing point. Space the buttons out by eight inches across the fabric.
- There is also the option to use a zipper or snaps to close the duvet cover if that’s preferred.
- Once the duvet cover can be closed, it’s ready to go! Place your comforter inside and get ready to cozy up in style.
This DIY duvet cover is a great way to upgrade the look of your bedroom while keeping costs low. If you’re looking for materials to get crafting your own duvet cover, reach out to Goldstar Tool. We can’t wait to see your finished product on Instagram and Facebook.